Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rat 2-8-2012

Yesterday I weighed myself for the first time in almost 2 weeks.  Lo and Behold I saw a number I've not seen in more than 10 years.  I weighed in at my summer weight pre-Elise.  I would always lose about 5 pounds over each summer when I was teaching.  I completely attribute that to the fact that I was eating my weight in melons and tomatoes and squash and cucumbers and.....well, you get it...  Yum!!  Summer produce has a comfort food factor that cannot be touched by any other food...  Interestingly, that reinforces my current belief that "whole" and natural food is significantly better for you.  This also marked 29 pounds lost since January 2011.  Wow.  Over the last 9 years, I had completely despaired of ever seeing that number again.  No lie.

I have my second 5K scheduled for this Saturday morning.  And, per this year's goal, I shall not walk.  Not one step.  I have promised myself!!  I have pushed myself pretty hard recently, and I am trying to hold back so I am pretty fresh for Saturday.  I would like to put up a faster time, but I am not familiar with the race course...so I cannot commit...but a PR would certainly be welcome...I'll be pushing for it.

I have been struggling with enough energy to successfully maintain my running pace.  The funny thing is, that I discovered that I would not have enough staying power if I ate protein for breakfast, and that in general, I was craving complex carbs.  Not in keeping with my Chalean Extreme diet plan...but I simply was running (no pun intended) out of steam.  And so I slowly started adding a little bit more carbs to may day.  Recently, I read this great book on women's running and in the nutrition chapter it specified that I should have 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat for optimal energy...and yesterday, I stumbled on a tool on my nutrition/exercise app that would put in a pie graph for me...and guess what?  Almost smack on for my own discovery of my optimal nutrition.  Crazy cool, huh?  Sometimes, your body really does know better...

I am really enjoying a running devotional that I found on accident and cannot recommend highly enough, along with a blog...and a book:
Running with God
Running with Horses (which, ironically, I thought was by the same author as the book...it's not, it's just based on the same verse!  But both are excellent!!)
Run with the Horses

And I have Runner's World headed my way...

You think I'm addicted?  :)

Perhaps...but I feel better than I have in a long time...so I'm thinking it's okay for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment