Monday, January 9, 2012

New Rats

Hmmm.  As I haven't put up my Goals for 2012, I suppose a week into the new year, I should get on that...right?  But as they are not "New Year's Resolutions" I'm still good.  Totally.

My new herd of rats?  It's a mixed bag this year.
1.  My cousin has proposed a memory verse challenge.  I'm in.  And pretty excited.
2.  I've signed up for another 5K.  I WILL NOT WALK.  Not a hair's breadth. 
3.  I'm planning on a 10K this spring.
4.  I'm planning on a 1/2 marathon before the end of the year.
5.  I'm hoping to ditch another 5-10 pounds.  It's not for health or looks this year (unlike last year!), this year it is about dragging around a few less pounds while running. 
6.  I want to make moments for friends.  After an impromptu friend date with my girl, Lynn, I discovered how much I miss them and need them.  And so, my goal is to run away with a friend once a month.  Even if it's just to lunch.
7.  I want to learn how to knit.  Just simple stuff.  I love to crochet.  I taught myself how to crochet.  I seriously make it up as I go.  I do okay for myself. 

But I'd love to learn something that I understand the properties enough that I can follow actual patterns.  I read several novels based on knitting, and was enchanted.  And so....I'm in love, with the wool, the colors, the smell, and the tradition of it.  Like tea, for the hands.
8.  I WILL learn how to utilize my new pressure cooker (Christmas and Birthday from my aunt!) and my new dehydrater (my brother and his wife got it for me for my birthday!).  I can barely stand it for excitement!!  I will post the new (and successful!) recipes of course!

As for reflections on this last year, I will tell you something cool.  I was not in a terribly good place emotionally last year.  Obviously physical lack of health is more visible.  You are overweight?  You have a spare tire.  You are depressed?  No real sign. 

I have known that exercise shakes the dust bunnies from my mind, but I have been very thankful to discover that they really are out right now.  They have not just sublet their space.  Running has opened the sunshades in my mind.  I am pleased to report that running, aside from helping me ditch a few pounds has helped me beat back a pretty heavy depression...and the funny thing was that I didn't even realize I was depressed until I got rid of it...and I am so thankful that God blessed me with that surprise gift.  So, I leave you with one of my favorite verses:  "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."  Psalm 119:32 

Now?  I run.  Figuratively and concretely.  Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment