Friday, March 11, 2011

deals with tweens and other craziness

I am totally excited...I get to watch The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring tonight with my boy! Never mind that I watched it while I folded laundry a couple of weeks ago... I made Gabriel read The Hobbit on the promise that I would let him watch the movies.

Here's the thing. I'm not making him read the rest of the books. I might make him listen to the audio books this summer...but I am going to make a confession, I really enjoyed the Hobbit...it was really good...But the rest of the series, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, makes me crazy. I don't love them. This is the only exception so far where I liked the movies more than the books. The LOTR is tedious. While I like a good description as much as the next person, LOTR takes that a little too far. EVERYTHING is described, to the exaggerated extreme that every breath, every footstep, every thought is described. IN DETAIL. Uggh! While I was reading, I sat there and figured out how much time had passed, and I think that the time frame for the ENTIRE trilogy was about 3 weeks...and I think I spent a week and a half reading it. And I read fast. It was brutal. I wanted to keep my geek card, and put it on my list of things I'd read. So I did, but it was awful. I'm waiting for the phone call that my geek card will be revoked...because I dared to speak against the trilogy...

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the date night with Gabriel. I love that boy!!

2 comments:

  1. It has come to our attention that you have violated the terms of your Geek Agreement, clause 7b "Geek agrees to publicly enjoy all approved works of fiction." As such, one point shall be removed from your Geek License. Further incidents may cause review or revocation of your Geek status.

    The Elder Council of Geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, revoke mine as well - I too share your dislike of all the descriptions in LOTR. I liked the Hobbit alright - but I never made it past 50 pages in Fellowship of the Ring. I do love the movies.

    ReplyDelete