Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rat 1-20-11

I said that I would rat out myself in conjunction with my New Year's Resolutions, so here we go:

I've lost 2 pounds, already. I've NEVER been able to say that over a 2 week period. EVER. It makes me SO excited to work out. I actually gained a pound and 1/2 the first week and it was SO depressing, but even with the gain, my pants were fitting looser and so I didn't panic.

I've been working out very consistently, 5 or 6 days a week. I made Ethan get me Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and am following that...and then usually I add some other exercise after. It's funny, my clothes are getting looser and I am feeling stronger and better...such that it is so disappointing when I see myself in the mirror, because in my head, I feel much more like my old, fit self. I also took advantage of the free 30 day trial of www.JillianMichaels.com to log my exercises, steal new recipes and record my food intake...Which I really like, I may actually pay for it, when my trial comes to an end! :)

Speaking of old, I do not know if it is my exercise choices, or my age, but if I do not do the warm-ups/cool downs or at least stretch, I am so tight and stiff...hopefully being consistent in working out will loosen up my muscles...we shall see.

I am not doing brilliantly going to bed earlier. I did for about a week and it was lovely! But this week has been so busy and has devolved into me exercising late and causing me to be all wound up after...I am planning to continue working on that!

Meals...I have been very good about this and found some yumminess that I need to share (both are courtesy of www.JillianMichaels.com :

Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Coconut Milk
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds potato(es), sweet, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 cup(s) coconut milk, light
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch nutmeg, ground
Preparation
Place the sweet potatoes in a glass microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high until very tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the hot, cooked potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add the coconut milk, salt, and nutmeg. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes and combine with the other ingredients. Serve.

Easy Salmon Cakes
These amazing salmon cakes will make you feel as if you're at a seafood shack by the beach. Even better, they're baked, so you can enjoy them, guilt-free.
Ingredients
1 small onion(s), finely chopped
3 teaspoon oil, olive, extra virgin, divided
1 stalk(s) celery, finely diced
2 tablespoon parsley, fresh, chopped
15 ounce(s) fish, salmon, canned, drained; or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon mustard, dijon-style
1 3/4 cup(s) bread crumbs, soft whole-wheat
1/2 teaspoon pepper, black ground
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Preparation
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, bread crumbs, and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve salmon cakes with lemon wedges.

I also discovered steel cut oats which are the best thing since peanut butter on bread. I make them according to the directions which only takes me about 15 minutes (or I make them ahead) and then add banana and honey and cinnamon. Ummmmmm!!!

Non-TV activities for Elise (and the other girls) have included coloring pages and listening to Russell Hoban's Francis books on audio CD and my reading aloud Little House in the Big Woods. All of which have been great, however, they all feel that I MUST sit with them for all activities...which don't really help my working out plan or doing that which I need to. So, still a wash, just now. Still searching...

I have been better about my phone/internet addiction in the evening, except when Ethan works late or falls asleep...I need a new book. I've read my old ones, too many times...I am contemplating a Kindle so I do not have to store a million new books....again, we shall see....

I've been pretty good about making sure there are new blog entries...I posted an Amelia-ism on being sick...but was cautious about being too graphic...which is too bad because some of her commentaries are pretty hysterical!! :)

SO, there you go. Thanks for letting me rat myself out...knowing that I have to, makes me more honest with myself.

1 comment:

  1. you go girl. i did the 30 day shred too (though i didn't finish) and loved it. i lost about 9 lbs, reading this blog entry is making me think I should get back to doing it! i owe you a phone call!!!!

    ReplyDelete