Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Happy Breastfeeding Week

I like my kids. Really, REALLY like my kids.

I HATED being pregnant. I appreciated that it got me my heart's desire, but I really didn't enjoy it. I liked the small link that allowed me to guess at their personalities...but it generally annoyed me. My friend likes to say that having somebody INSIDE her causes her to despise being touched outside. She gets "touched out, from the inside". I'd say that's fairly accurate for me, too.

I really enjoyed breastfeeding. The uninterrupted snuggle time, the perfectly happy baby, the "rock-star-ness", the gift of the moment, a snapshot of babyhood. The opportunity to kiss them as much as I liked...

I am not in any hurry to wean Charlotte, because she enjoys it so much. Don't worry, she'll undoubtedly cut herself off before she goes off to Kindergarten. ;) But, the other kids self-weaned earlier than this. She is all "big kid" in almost every aspect of her life, she is hyper-self-sufficient...to the point I don't know that I like it, in all other areas of life, and has been for MONTHS...but she clings to her by-herself snuggle and "snack" time. It's her 1/2 hour of snatched babyhood. So we linger a bit longer.

It is Breastfeeding Awareness Week. And I just thought I'd take a moment to say how nice it is...and how sad I am that this is the last one.

Gabriel was all business and cut himself off around 6 months...there was too much going on to see...

Elise hung in there until right at 16 months...this the baby with Downs, who "wouldn't be able to be breastfed". Yeah, okay.

Amelia did her little all and nothing bipolar nursing until 11 months...one month on, one month off (all expressed in a bottle)...so wierd...

Charlotte is 17 months...and adores it...we'll see how long it takes to cut into her big girl plans...that get bigger by the day! :)

I'll leave you with this:
"A little child born yesterday
On mother's milk and kisses fed..."
Homer

Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Week!

2 comments:

  1. oh, one last one: "Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman's breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy. ~Robert A. Heinlein"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to post for World Breastfeeding Week too, but I can't figure out what to post! I Love your post. :o) And I hope little Charlotte takes her time weaning.

    ReplyDelete