Monday, July 26, 2010

Lost while Looking Stuff Up...addiction?

"You don't know what that is?/How to spell that?/Who that is? Then you ought to go look it up..." Typically not a bad idea...but for me it is...go ahead, make me, and kiss me goodbye for the next few hours. It is, seriously, like turning a junkie loose in their addiction.

I have learned TONS of fun stuff because I went to look something up and read half the "R" encyclopedia...Or "T" or "M" Or "C-Ch"... :) Oooh, and then you occasionally have to cross-reference, and read more...and the next thing you know, you have 6 encyclopedias out and don't know where the day went...

I have discovered CRAZY cool words because of similar situations involving the Dictionary.

I admit, I have picked up a dictionary or encyclopedia for fun. On purpose, to look up nothing in particular.

Oh, and the internet? I hit all the hyperlinks. That lead to another, and another, and another.

The funny thing is, I do the same thing in church. I have learned to cut myself off [occasionally]and NOT FOLLOW ALONG in my Bible. Because I don't follow along. For one I read too fast, and then I want to know what happened before, and then after, then one thing leads to another and while I started off in Matthew, I wind up in Leviticus. It never fails. I do love it. But I am really torn. Does the "fun reading" in the Bible give a good example? Or listening? OR is both listening...and it's just God talking? But what OUGHT I be doing? I genuinely would like my kids to do both, so I don't know what I should do...I'm still trying figure that one out!

Next thing I'll know, I will read that it is a sickness on one of my chomosomes. And who knows what other diseases I will discover through those hyperlinks??? :)

3 comments:

  1. I can identify with you to some extent, though I never intentionally picked up a dictionary or encyclopedia just for the fun of it. But there are all sorts of fun things to learn from browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny! . . . and amazing! For the same reason we didn't "send you to your room" when you needed to be disciplined! You've always tended to get lost in such fun exercises of the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, there was a medical report a while back about too-smart-for-your-own-good-itis.

    I feel ya, sister.

    ReplyDelete