Friday, May 7, 2010

My Superpower

I have a super power. Honest. I can read really, REALLY fast. It has been a blessing my entire life, until lately...

I can blow through 700 page books in a day...easy...have done it, and managed to feed my kids and make sure they are safe, too! I try to limit my reading so I can clean my house...and grocery shop.

The only problem with this gift, is that I have never HAD to put a book down and read it over the period of a week. Because it simply wasn't necessary.

Now that I am a mom, I really don't have the luxury of sitting a reading until I am done. There are people to be seen to, places to take/pick up those people, and a house to be cleaned. The necessity of reading for an hour and then returning to do it again two days later, is infuriating...and so I am reading more short stories, topical chapter books, and magazines...than I ever thought I would.

Life cuts into my reading time.

Reading is my drug of choice. I can escape the insanity that is my life...the little world in the books is controlled and resolves itself, unlike my life, where choices and the limbo caused by those choices, will hang unresolved for years...and in some cases, like Elise, there will probably never be resolution, no clear expectations...

I have quit reading books without resolution...and I refuse books that do not end up "happy"...My reponse to those who criticize is: "I have enough real life, in my real life."

I will read fiction and non-fiction...I am all about clear, concise reflections on life and theology.I thoroughly enjoy fiction that really isn't even based in real life...real thoughts and feelings in fantasy worlds and universes are just as much fun...and even more so because of their removal from the day to day....

I admit, that because it is so difficult to read something new in a sitting, I am reading some stuff over...and in some cases, over and over. I have discovered that some books/authors, I like what I discover in the micro reading...my brain sits and wallows in passages, wringing out thoughts and words that I may have missed....or simply wasn't mature enough to take in, in middle school. My favorites to re-read are Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling, and Louisa May Alcott...the WAYS things are described are a fabulous as the things that are being described!

Gabriel is a reader...in spurts. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth. Sometimes, he rips through books like me. I have tried to read stuff with him, so we can discuss it, for thoughtfulness on his part, and bonding (and screening) with him, for mine! It's like sharing a secret fort with club members. Recently, it came out in a discussion with his friends, that I read the Percy Jackson books and the Eragon books with him...his friends were shocked, and he glowed with pride in his mother...I was thankful that I had taken the time to share them with him!

Elise ADORES books. She will read books that have no pictures...she will look through magazines, books, and fliers in doctors' offices...she can't get enough!

Amelia is picky. She will only read books that have animals wearing clothes...as I sat here thinking about her faves...that is the only uniting factor...Funny...

Charlotte likes to eat books. Fiber. Yum. I'm kidding. Sort of. Only in the last week has she started actually looking at the pictures...and finding it better than nibbling...hopefully, she won't take as long as Gabriel who also started as a snacker...for 2 years! We'll see, I guess.

I guess I'll have to keep reading and hope that my love and my superpower is passed down...the bonus is that I treasure reading...and will willingly read to and with my babies for longer than I'd really like to! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment