Thursday, April 15, 2010

Amelia-isms and Parenting

"I hate this song. It makes my hair crazy!!"

"I am soaking wet, and need to take a bath. And I need company."

"OOh, yum! This lollypop tastes just like medicine!" (it was grape)

"But dirt makes me dirty."

"But I am not thirsty for water. I'm thirsty for COKE!"

"Why is my hair fat?" (it was all fluffy from being toweled dry)

"Where did all the trees come from?" (all the leaves had come out while we were on vacation)

"PLEASE don't wash my hair! I NEED it to turn green so it will match my eyes!! And SPRINKLES [sparkles], I need them everywhere!!" (When I threatened that her hair would turn green if I didn't wash it after swimming in the chlorinated pool!)


My little chatterbox is a spiritual test. Amelia talks CONSTANTLY!!! From the time she gets up to the time she fall asleep. She never stops. I've even heard her talking in her sleep. It is exhausting for me. There are some days I go to the bathroom just to take a break. I even turn on the fan so she can't talk to me through the door, which she does all the time. And I don't like the fan, it's loud and can be stressful in its own right.

I was reading a friend's blog (http://davidandkeri.blogspot.com/2010/04/this-morning-in-conversation-with-one.html) and was struck with the truth of her post. That children are the achilles heel of mothers. The MOST effective attack on a mother is through her children, physically and spiritually.

I find myself wondering how much of parenting is a spiritual exercise for our hearts. I mean wholistically. Obviously, it should be prayed over, and it is burden/responsibility not to be taken lightly. On a total scale, it may be this single most spiritual part of our lives. I'd never looked at it from this perspective. It is such a huge thought, that I am struggling with the gargantuan-ness of it. It really is staggering!

I have always appreciated the symbolism of the God the Father and his children (us). I've been thankful for the love and passion that this relationship evidences. But that our relationship continously echoes that which we have with God, the good , the bad, and the ugly...and that we can be attacked through parenthood (or lack thereof), really is mind-blowing. That we should be coming to him for refreshment and wisdom constantly has always been something I am aware of...and that we should be models of Christ for our kids (again, overwhelming, but aware)....and all the positives...BUT that we are continuously tested and attacked...it makes me more prayerful about my "job" as a mother.

It makes their whining, hitting, begging, irresponsibility, forgetfulness, stresses, lack of self-control, temper-tantrums, stealing, mess-making, and even constant talking take on a whole 'nother component, doesn't it? The emotional and physical exhaustion, may not be just that...it may be attacks...to wear us down, make us crazy, and short-tempered...and sinful, not the Christ-like examples we should be. Wow. Satan is awful sneaky...not always the big stuff. Sometimes the tiniest stream erodes the greatest canyon.

I guess I am floundering for the words to say such a BIG thought, but figured that maybe you'd "get" it and help me out! :) At the very least, there is some tiny stuff to be praying big about! For me anyway.

3 comments:

  1. so true...and well written. Thanks for sharing your heart on this. Maybe we can get Amelia and Natalie together, they would probably be 2 peas in a pod...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this after a major parenting blunder. Humbling and a wake-up that I needed. Fortunately kids are forgiving! By the way, Abby sounds a lot like Amelia, started talking very young....hasn't had a quiet moment since! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said so much more eloquently what I mean when I say: "Parenting is SO more more about growing me than about growing my kids!" Everything you said resonated with my soul . . . the achilles heal, the spiritual exercise of the soul, the continuous need to drink at the Living Springs, the hunger of the soul for your child's soul and for your own! The vivid reality of who we are not and how needy we are... Nothing like living in community to uncover the soul - good, bad,ugly - nothing also like community to nurture the soul! We humans are a muddled mess - and our children are "living arrows" in the hand of the Master Archer -
    "You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The Archer sees the mark upon the path of the Infinite,
    and He bends you with His might
    that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    so He loves also the bow that is stable." (Gibran)
    So we strive to be that bow - always held close to the Archer heart!
    I love you, daughter ! You've turned out to be a beautiful arrow - flying swifter and farther and gladly from the Archer's hand!

    ReplyDelete