Saturday, March 6, 2010

dolls, fabric, and other addictions

Not to make myself sound like a 1950's woman, but I find sewing relaxing. (Oh, and I really do like pearls...) I can't really follow a pattern, because I apparently have the attention span of a cat, but I do okay for myself when I make it up as I go... My mother taught me to sew, which is one of life's ironies, because she'll tell you she can't sew....so I'm not sure what that means...she also taught me to crochet, and all she can do is chains...she gave me just enough to get me good and tipsy in a fabric store! I can't knit because I don't have the patience (cat, remember?).

But, I have been eyeing waldorf dolls lately. They are VERY expensive. They also can be BEAUTIFUL! (www.bamboletta.com) But I can't pony up that much money unless I think that my kids will adopt and care for them with the affection that that kind of adoption fees require...That said, I have been searching how to make waldorf dolls on the internet.

My mother will tell you that I used to cut up "laps" and sew dolls when I was about 9. Laps are named after their job in the operating room, and I would sew doll clothes, dolls, and whatever else came to mind or were needed in play. They were also equivalent to dish cloths in our household, and I got in trouble semi-regularly for appropriating too many.

I now go into the fabric section at Walmart or Hobby Lobby or Joann's and really struggle with addictions! I see all that lovely material that WANTS to be cut up and played with! Shouldn't I open my home to all that lonely fabric??? :) It is like a child, a whole future aching with dreams!

I can't sew as much as I like...as it is an expensive pastime. I also have "helpers" that don't help...or if they do, the consequences of that help is somewhat of a mixed bag...BUT I am hoping to make a lovey for my girls...I'll let you know how this plan progresses...and, of course, I found a lovely quote that impressed me with the tradition of handmade dolls...and spurred me on!!

"...a handcrafted doll is one of a kind, an individual that carries the spirit of the maker in its stitches and absorbs the spirit of the child who loves it."

Now tell me that doesn't inspire you!!

I will keep you aware of the highs and lows that this project will undoubtedly produce!

2 comments:

  1. Her mama stood in awe of this child when she was very young - and she still does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish we lived closer! abby is dying to learn how to sew, i wish i were a better seamstress so i can 1) teach her and 2) make all the things i would love to make!

    ReplyDelete