Sunday, January 31, 2010

Swimming

We joined the YMCA again today. We quit about this time last year, as I was feeling yucky and about to have a c-section, and I knew I would not be able to get back to swimming for a couple of months at least, and then it would be summer...which introduces a complication, Elise. (I'll expand on that later this week.)

But I got to swim laps today. I LOVE to swim. Some people do yoga, some meditation. I swim. It is physically satisfying, and emotionally/spiritually satisfying. It truly exercises me, but it also wraps my heart and soul in peace.

When I was originally baptized, they were "sprinklers". I requested to be "dunked" somehow, but there were no options. Since then, I have been "dunked" because the Baptist denomination requires it. As I had made a private and public confession of faith, I knew myself to be saved. But I really loved being dunked. It was an experience that was powerful and touched me somehow at a deeper level.

I am not a fan of Kate Chopin. She is a talented writer and I understand why she was a part of our high school curriculum, but I didn't like her stuff. I had a serious problem with most of my high school reading curriculum. I believe that you can have talent and positive stories that run parallel. My entire reading lists consisted of depressing and more depressing...and in high school, aren't we all dealing in dark days, anyhow? Do we really need to add fuel to the fire?

However, one of my favorite quotes comes from Kate Chopin: "The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clearing, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in the abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace."

Isn't that just amazing? And I need not say more on that today. That pretty much says it all!

2 comments:

  1. I loved being "dunked" as well! Even though I believe "sprinkling" is a perfectly fine way to be baptized, there is this little part of me that feels a bit sorry for people who haven't experienced being "dunked." Mine too was a very powerful experience. New City dunks people who want to be baptized that way each summer at our church picnic at the lake. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made this association. Interesting, although I have always loved the "language" of water, be it river, stream, ocean, or lake.

    ReplyDelete