Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Teas and Traditions

I went to a Christmas Tea last night that had no tea. Well, sort of, they had sweet iced tea with the meal. I went for fun with friends and came back touched by God. Isn't that cool when that happens? Sometimes it is exhausting, but it is always a blessing.

Kerri Pomarolli (http://kerripom.com/) was apparently sent to talk just to me. She said so many hysterically funny things, that I found funnier than most of those around me. She also said some profound things that you don't hear at church, but you should. One statement that was particularly profound was "Jesus died to save you from you." He did didn't he? As in a quote my momma is fond of, "We don't sin because it is our sinful nature. We sin because we like it." Gets you to thinking doesn't it?

I love tea. I love the myriad options, blacks, greens, herbals...it just about makes your head spin just thinking of all the options! I like it cold, but I adore it hot. I like the flavor. I like the scent. I love the time honored rituals. I love the history, the story of it, the idea that thousands of women have made it in exactly the same way and found peace it it. I like that you can't drink it fast. No matter what you have to do, no matter what the rest of your life looks like, no matter what is happening, you can't drink it fast. You have to let it steep. You have to sip. You have to breathe. And that allows you to think. And listen to what God is whispering to you. Try it, even if you have to do it over iced tea.

1 comment:

  1. every time I have a cup I think of you, because you introduced me to "taking tea."
    thanks! and everything you said about it is true.
    I've passed the joy on to my Mom and even Malcolm enjoys a cup pretty often.

    ReplyDelete