Sunday, June 7, 2009

Syrup and Nursing

These are just funny stories that I thought you'd get a kick out of! Sunday night giggles!

Elise is faster than you could even fathom when it comes the pantry and fridge...which is ironic when you consider how little she will actually eat. She likes crackers, oatmeal, yogurt, and cake. Everything else is a little trickier to get her eat. She also loves to look at cook books. She'll ooh and ahh and make "yum" sounds. However, if you actually tried to get her to eat any of it, she'd turn you down flat!

Anyway, I was feeding Charlotte and Elise broke into the kitchen...she didn't make as much noise as usual and I guess I got a little too comfortable...Until she came into the living room...shiney! Buck naked. Oh! I came over to her, concerned, of course. The level of concern sky-rocketed when I drew closer and a stout smell of syrup wafted toward me! I started crying inside when I took her into the bathroom to clean her up and found syrup smeared all over the sink. and door. and floor. and door knob....and in all sorts of nooks and crannies. I put her in the tub to go assess the damage elsewhere. I went to the kitchen and found about 3/4 of a bottle of syrup all over the kitchen...all over the table, chairs, and an American Girl doll...as I look up I see that the windows appear ripple-y, she had carefully wiped each window pane with it! Thankfully, Ethan was home, and he scrubbed Elise down. It took me the better part of 2 hours to get the kitchen unsticky. Surpisingly, it only took about 1/2 hour to clean the doll, and she really is not the worse for her body spa treatment. This is why we get these dolls...we HAVE to be able to save them from our girls!

Later the same day, she came to me with her hair wet and told me that she had taken a bath! (Again, if you knew what an ordeal it was to give her a bath, you would know how utterly bizarre this situation is!) Her hair was wet, nothing else. I asked her if she had washed her hair in the sink or the toilet. She shrugged and said she didn't know. Gabriel sniffed her and said she smelled like the blue goo in the toilet. Rats!!! After THAT bath, she celebrated by eating half the cake on the counter!

Needless to say, I am a little more jumpy when Elise breaks into the kitchen! When Charlotte is busy nursing, or having "baby snacks", I have started trying to let her watch Tom and Jerry.

Amelia likes to quiz me about what "baby snacks" Charlotte is having. Milk wasn't enough answer for her. I have just started listing off what I've eaten during the day. For whatever reason, she finds this amazing! "Baby snacks" is much easier to discuss in public than Gabriel's description. He referred to it as "letting the baby bite your nipples". (He also called bras: "the little T-shirt you keep your nipples in." ) Nursing really is a crazy wierd thought to toddlers...it is quite odd for anyone, I guess. A bit of a miracle really. And yet another awareness raised by toddlers...Love them, don't you? Funny AND useful! HA!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm near tears just thinking of the frustration of cleaning that kitchen and child! You are one strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the privilege of raising a Down's child for almost 9 years.Your stories of Elise and her antics bring back such memories. We had the only house with security to keep someone in instead of out. The neighbors would call us in the middle of the night because he would be at their door wearing only underwear and a Batman cape or would crawl into another neighbor's shower if they left their door unlocked.The police were here to perform searches,etc. and the stories go on and on. He always knew when we were occupied and you could place money on him into something in the house (or out). Enjoy. While I have more time now and less frustration, I miss the neverending joy that he gave us and reasons to laugh everyday.

    ReplyDelete